When you take a cold drink, ice cream & cold item then you are getting a painful experience like tooth Sensitivity- Tooth sensitive to cold?? Then know the cause & do the proper treatment on time to save your tooth. Don’t think Sensitivity is a disease, these are symptoms of a disease. As a Dentist, my experiences are few people are using Sensitivity toothpaste after seeing a commercial advertisement on TV or in Newspaper & few get temporary relief from sensitivity; even if they don’t know how to use this toothpaste. But to get permanent relief & to protect the teeth solve the cause of sensitivity.
When Tooth Sensitivity (Dentin Hypersensitivity) Happens/ Tooth sensitive to Cold?
Tooth sensitivity usually causes When the second layer of tooth structure Dentin(See Pic.1) is exposed, then it causes tooth sensitivity. In Dentin one of the important structures is Dentinal Tubule. The dentinal Tubule(See Pic.2) is a tube or canal-like structure which presents the inner to outer side direction of the tooth, when it is exposed then impulses from outside, irritate the inner structure of the tooth pulp & cause tooth sensitivity. If it is not treated on time then later can cause dental pain & tooth loss.
Know How Sensitivity toothpaste Stops the Tooth Sensitivity:
Generally when Dentinal Tubule has exposed then tooth sensitivity is noticed, and the impulse from outside irritates the inner structure of the tooth pulp & causes tooth sensitivity. Commonly Potassium nitrate or strontium chloride is used to stop sensitivity. It is used to block the Dentinal tubule (See Pic.2) & temporary relief from tooth sensitivity. To know in detail about different toothpaste & function-click here.
How Dentin or Dentinal Tubule is exposed:
- Tooth Cavity or dental caries
- Tooth gum disease-Gingivitis & Periodontitis- Root is Exposed
- Loss of tooth structure, which can be due to Tooth Attrition, Erosion, abrasions, trauma & Tooth Grinding.
- Fractured teeth
- Compromised tooth restoration or broken restoration
- Due to some poorly restored metal filling.
- Exposed tooth root etc.
NOTE: Tooth gum disease is one of the common dental problems in our society. Tooth gum disease causes due to lack of oral hygiene maintenance. We eat, that food particles accumulate on & in between the tooth which causes irritation to the tooth gum & gum diseases. To clean these food particles daily proper tooth brushing & every 6-th months (at least yearly once) Scaling treatment is strongly recommended. Scaling treatment can help to clean the calculus & help to maintain proper oral hygiene, which can give healthy tooth gum, healthy tooth & good overall health- Click here to know about the importance of good oral health(good oral health may help you to good overall health.
Risk Factor of Tooth Sensitivity:
- Malocclusion of teeth- can cause traumatic tooth occlusion can cause Tooth Attrition
- Bruxism, tooth-grinding habit
- Poor oral hygiene & maintenance
- Hard brush use or Hard pressure during brush, improper brushing technique. TO KNOW THE PROPER BRUSHING TECHNIQUE- CLICK HERE
- Enamel hypoplasia
- Tobacco, Gutka, Betel nuts & alcohol- which may cause tooth Erosion & Abrasion
- Diabetics can cause gum problems, TO KNOW IN DETAILS ABOUT DIABETICS- CLICK HERE
- Old age
- Improper nutrition & Calcium deficiency
- Hereditary- it can effect & cause caries, tooth abnormally, gum problems etc.
Prevention of Tooth Sensitivity:
- Brush twice daily with a soft bristle. Don’t use a hard toothbrush. Don’t use Charcoal to clean the tooth, use proper toothpaste.
- Brush gently- Use a proper tooth-brushing technique & don’t give excess pressure while brushing your tooth.
- Rinse with water after every food & sometimes use a good Chlorhexidine mouthwash with water.
- If you are having Malocclusion then gets the treatment.
- For bruxism or tooth grinding habits- stop tooth grinding by psychological management & can use ‘Nightguard tooth appliance’ to stop tooth Attrition.
- Schedule regular dentist visits for plaque and tartar removal. Every 6-month visit the Dentist for scaling treatment, and for prevention of dental & general health problems.
- Floss once daily & massage the gum with your finger.
- Chewing habit of bit hard & fibrous food is a good habit; don’t take always soft or liquid food.
- Take a balanced diet & vegetables- Proper nutrition is important.
- Topical Fluoride can be used, ask your Dentist-use as your Dentist’s advice.
- Avoid Tobacco, Gutka, Betel nuts & Alcohol
Treatment of Tooth sensitive to cold:
Tooth Sensitivity toothpaste closes the opening of Dentinal tubules, so impulse or irritation can’t go inside & temporarily stop the tooth Sensitivity, but permanently it’s not cured. So, as a Dentist, I will suggest you do the proper treatment and solve the cause of sensitivity & which will give you a permanent solution. If you have caries, fracture, compromised filling, tooth attrition, or erosion then the treatment options can be new tooth filling Or Root canal treatment- treatment will be depending upon the tooth’s condition. For gum problems, periodontal treatment is indicated. If you are getting tooth sensitivity then immediately visit a Dentist.
Tooth sensitivity to cold is a symptom of a disease. Don’t neglect this problem. Don’t take treatment on your own, take specialist advice. If you take the correct treatment at the correct time then easily you can protect your tooth, if you getting tooth sensitivity immediately take specialist advice. So to get permanent relief & do the proper treatment, know the cause of sensitivity, treat the disease & automatically you will get relief from symptoms of tooth sensitivity.
Written By– Dr. Anuran Ghosh Mondal
Mob: +91 9432580313